ETV Frequently Asked Questions


If you need additional help, please contact your ETV coordinator.

Applying for ETV

Am I eligible for ETV?

Eligibility requirements can be found on the “Eligibility & Qualifications” page.

Is there a deadline for the ETV applications?

Yes, there is a deadline for each year for the applications. Deadline dates can be found on the “Important Dates & Reminders” page. The deadline applies to the first time an application is received for the year.

How long is the application valid?

Applications are valid for the entire school year (i.e. Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters, starting in the Fall). Students are encouraged to check as many semesters as they expect to be enrolled in for the school year on their application.

Who is my ETV Coordinator or how do I find out?

A student’s region is based on where they are attending school. Each ETV Coordinator has a caseload that is divided by students’ region. This is sometimes adjusted based on the numbers of students in the Program. Please check the “Contact Us” page for a complete listing.

What documents do I turn in for ETV?

A list of all required documents needed to begin and/or update your Application can be found under the “Documents” page. In addition, your DFPS caseworker, or PAL worker, can provide the Tuition and Fee Waiver, along with, the DFPS Verification of Eligibility form upon request.

How do I get a copy of my tuition fee waiver letter?

You can get a copy of your tuition fee waiver letter by contacting your primary caseworker, the PAL staff in your region, or, if adopted, you can contact the adoption specialist in your area. These contact lists are available in the “Contact Us” section or at

What type of documentation do I submit as proof my housing is covered? What do I need to submit if housing, utilities, or tuition have not been covered?

Students can submit a ledger or statement showing payments have been received by their apartment complex, a letter confirming payments were made for the full semester, or receipts. Also, a copy of a signed lease between both landlord and lessee must be submitted as well. As for utilities, students will need to show a billing statement or statement from the company showing payment has been paid in full for the semester, or student can send receipts each month showing payments have been made.

ETV Funding Process

How are ETV awards paid?

The ETV Program FIRST pays expenses directly for tuition, housing, and utilities for each semester, as appropriate.  If a youth has already paid the following expenses, then they are to provide proper documentation showing the expenses have been paid.  ETV will be able to release the remaining balance of funds directly to the youth with a completed Request of Funds Form.

Why do I not qualify for the full $5,000?

One of the components of the amount of each award is actually based on the cost of attendance as set by each higher education institution. The ETV award is then calculated after it is determined the amount of financial aid the youth will receive for the academic year, the number of semesters and the number of hours the youth is attending.

Can the ETV program submit a letter of guarantee to a youth’s Landlord and make the check payable to the youth?

ETV can provide letters of guarantee to landlords; however we cannot make a check payable to a youth if the payment is intended for the landlord.  If a youth is requesting a letter of guarantee to be sent to the landlord, please request this in writing by email, fax or mail.

What if I plan to stay with a friend/family member/foster parent(s) and they will be charging me rent, is there a lease or form that I can complete in order to request assistance with rent?

Yes, you can complete the Renting Together Contract. This is an agreement that you and the person you are staying with can use to come up with a set amount of rent, utilities and any other expenses.

If I live with a roommate can ETV cover all the rent?

No, ETV can only cover your portion of the rent.

If I change schools during the school year, can it change my award amount?

Yes, changing schools during the school year can affect your previous award amount.  You will need to submit all new information pertaining to your school (i.e. financial aid award letter, student classification and schedule). Your ETV Coordinator will re-calculate your new award amount for the new school and a new award letter will be issued.

What if I turn 23 years old in the middle of the semester? Will I lose my ETV funds?

“Consistent with other Title IV-E programs, the Title IV-E agency may only issue a voucher, up to the established ceiling, for costs through the end of the month in which the youth turns 23. This means that institutional costs that cover the full semester (e.g., tuition or room and board) must be prorated for ETV purposes. Allowable costs such as books and supplies that the youth purchases for use during the semester prior to turning 23, and will continue to use after turning 23, may be included.”

The information above will mean if a youth turns 23 in October the youth will receive the prorated amount of ETV funds only for October of the award year. Youth will no longer receive funds for the full semester of their 23rd birthday. The ETV award will prorate the funds based on the number of months the youth will be in school, cost of attendance at the youth’s school and the date of the youth’s birth date.

Will ETV help me purchase a car?

ETV funds may be used for transportation expenses to and from school with the exception of the purchase of a vehicle.

If I need to submit receipts for reimbursements, do I need to submit my original receipts? Do I need to complete a voucher for each receipt

Receipts are no longer necessary to turn in.  For youth enrolled as a Freshman or Sophomore, they can provide verification showing tuition, housing and utilities have been paid for the semester, their Coordinators can issue a release funds directly to the youth for the budgeted allowable expenses.  For youth enrolled as a Junior or Senior, they can receive their entire funds issued directly to them as indicated on the budget worksheet completed with their application.

Can I be reimbursed for items I purchase for my child(s)?

No, ETV funds cannot cover any items you purchase for your child. We can only assist with you as a student.

Can ETV help with childcare while I do to school?

Yes, we can help you pay for childcare while you are enrolled in school.

How can I get more assistance within my community for school or living expenses (i.e. scholarships, CCMS, TANF, food pantries, transition centers, etc)?

You can work with your regional transition center, state PAL staff, case worker, and other school counselors. You can also visit to find more resources.


What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is determined by the policy at the institution you are enrolled in for federal financial aid under the Higher Education Act (HEA), for example Pell Grants. The school’s policy will usually include that the student has to maintain a certain grade point average, be meeting a pace/completion rate, and that the student is within a maximum amount of attempt hours as determined by the school. It is the student’s responsibility to contact their school to learn their school’s SAP policy. If a student is not meeting his school’s SAP policy the student cannot receive ETV; however, once the student becomes compliant with the school’s policy he can reapply for ETV. Students will be evaluated each time they apply for ETV to determine if they are meeting their school’s SAP policy.

If the student has been denied Title IV-E HEA funds by his school and is appealing to his school, the determination of whether the student will receive ETV funds will be made after the school has made their decision on the student’s appeal. If the student’s federal financial aid is reinstated, the student can receive ETV funds providing the student is still meeting all other ETV requirements.

What Texas schools are credible for the ETV program?

ETV will accept any state funded college or university, private or accredited programs for a certification or degree program.  You can visit to view the complete listing. Also view the “Home” page to see if a school qualifies for ETV.